The settings for adding a BPOS or Exchange Online account to an Android phone can be a little tricky to get right. If you get one setting wrong the error message does not give you a good indication of what the problem is. One of our BPOS customers uses HTC Desires and this is the procedure that we used to configure their phones, the procedure should be similar for other Android devices.
1. From the Home screen select Menu –> Settings –> Accounts & sync
2. Select Add account –> Exchange ActiveSync
3. Choose to enter the settings manually and enter them as following:
Email Address – your full mail address e.g. email@example.com
Server Name – Enter the following depending on which region you are in:
Domain – leave this blank
Username – the same as the email address
Password – the password for your account
This server requires an encrypted SSL connection – this option must be selected
4. Press Next and once the connection is established choose to synchronize Contacts, Calendar and Mail.
5. Modify the Account Sync settings as required. From the Home screen select Menu –> Settings –> Accounts & sync and choose the ActiveSync account just added. We recommend enabling Auto-sync and changing the sync schedule if you wish.
This is all you need to do in order to receive push email on your Android phone. In addition the rest of your email, contacts and calendar appointments will be synchronized between everything that uses your Exchange account (typically this will be Outlook, Outlook Web Access and your phone). Any changes in one will be reflected in the others. For example:
- Send an email from your phone it will show up in the Sent items folder on Outlook
- Add an appointment to your calendar in Outlook it will appear on your phone’s calendar and you will get a reminder on your phone
- Receive a phone call and create a new contact on your phone from their number. You can then edit the same contact later in Outlook to add further information like postal address and notes.